Philippians 3:1 —- Finally, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you is not troublesome to me, and for you, it is a safeguard.
Does this sound like you?
- You begin your day with a big sigh instead of welcoming the presence of God.
- You rush around anxiously performing your daily routines and forget to have that quiet time with God.
- You realize halfway through your day you haven’t prayed to God at all, and when you do pray, you sound an awful lot like the grumbling and complaining Israelites.
- You continually focus on the negative aspects of your life instead of remembering the greatness of a Heavenly Father who truly does answer prayer. Thus, your day is filled with doubt, hopelessness, depression, and even anger rather than hope, peace, and faith.
- When good things do happen, you don’t thank God. You resist the urge to relax and be happy. Instead, you believe that the good thing is a mere coincidence.
The Bible says in Nehemiah 8:10, “For the Joy of the Lord is your strength.”
How true! Worry and anxiousness do not give us vitality. When joy is lacking, our strength is completely sapped.
But I don’t feel happy, you say. Why fake it if it isn’t in me?
Just because we don’t initially feel joyful doesn’t mean that we can’t be joyful. That is because joy is ultimately not a feeling. It’s a choice, it’s a perspective, and it’s a command in the Bible.
So, we aren’t just happy when things go well. We are not just jubilant when we are getting our needs met. We don’t suddenly stop praising and thanking God because we are having a bad day.
When the psalmist King David was depressed and scared – and he had good reason to be, with the responsibility of an entire kingdom on his shoulders and a guy named Saul seeking to destroy him – he continually lifted his eyes toward Heaven, knowing that the source of his life came from a good and merciful God.
Remember that you serve a good and gracious God who loves you unconditionally. He is faithful to complete that good work in you. Only now be joyful and watch God fulfill His promises in your life.
Miracles still happen! Stop shrinking back in fear and start moving forward in faith! God’s specialty is making the impossible possible.